Reports to: Solutions Design Manager
Department: Information Technology
Position Overview: The Associate Application Developer assists in development, implementation and maintenance of web and healthcare interface solutions (HL7) from layout to function and according to a defined specifications and business needs. Strive to maintain developed solutions that feature user-friendly design, clear navigation and support future expansion. Monitor and help maintain the functioning of all interfaces used by/within the organization. Contribute in building integration services with electronic health record and ancillary systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to the following):
- Planning; Requirements & Design
- Participate in design, code, test and install interfaces in an effort to develop basic competencies needed to provide integration services, and to hone design and analytical skills
- Help code evaluation to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Design, Development, and Delivery processes. Incorporate technical considerations into web and HL7 interface solution design plans, equipment, performance requirements etc.
- Become proficient in developing, testing, deploying, and evaluating appropriate interface solutions and ongoing maintenance needs for sustainable processes. Appropriately configuring systems to improve processes, add efficiencies, and promote patient safety
- Assist in testing, debugging, modifying, tuning, and documenting developed solution
- Acquire working knowledge of message routing and transformation and develop the skill to reverse engineer existing healthcare IT interfaces
- Participate in unit, integrated and volume testing with vendor, application analyst and/or users
- Analytical skills
- Achieve quality assurance by developing and executing comprehensive test matrix to ensure all functionality and workflows are tested approiately
- Become proficient in department workflow and analyze opportunities to improve
- Identify data validation risks and solutions/strategies
- Assist business and systems analysts with business rule and data integration, requirements gathering
- Support and Maintenance
- Alter/redevelope lagecy web applications with insdustry standards and object oriented principles. Create new looks for applications that meet what their consumers and clients are looking for
- Maintain and document Interface engine Routes, Communication Point configurations and scripts to ensure proper versioning and control of product upgrades
- Identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction
- Develop or validate test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types
- Maintain understanding of current web and reporting technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups
- Document each solution with a problem statement, design consideration, workflow, dependency, and required maintenance
- Ensure the timely and accurate generation of all internal/external reporting, promote consistency and standardization amongst the various types of reports and databases, and manage the various reporting tools
- Document step by step process to redeploy/restore each solution from scratch incase of emergency
- Develop system interaction or sequence diagrams for each solution
- Deliver solutions on time
- Ensures timely communication to project stakeholders
- Report any unforeseen issues to management which could impact the committed delivery
- Ensure that physical design and configuration of the delivered solutions meet the logical design
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as requested by Supervisor(s)
- Experience in data analysis and report development using business intelligence data modelling tools (e.g. Microsoft Business Intelligence Development Studio -BIDS) is preferred
- Healthcare integration experience using HL7 preferred.
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented design and development.
- Ability to manage time effectively, set priorities and schedule activities is required.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner.
- Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must have strong interpersonal skills and be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people at various levels within and outside the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or Health Care related program is required; an advanced degree is preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in the areas of Information Systems is required. Web application development experience is preferred